This week we are going to have a think about peace and what it means to us.
Key Question: Where do I find strength to battle worry and fear?
Key Idea: I am not worried because I have found peace with God, peace with others, and peace with myself.
These questions are relevant in these unusual and worrying times we find ourselves in.
THE STORY OF SOLOMON
- Everyone feels worried or afraid sometimes. Some fears are even good! It is good to be afraid of touching a hot stove. But God does not want us to live in fear. He wants us to have the good, calm feeling of his peace. We can have peace by knowing that God is in control, even when we feel worried or afraid.
- King Solomon had a lot to worry about. He had to rule over a whole kingdom! But he trusted God to give him wisdom. God’s people had a long time of peace while he was king. King Solomon loved God. He prayed every day and obeyed God’s laws. He wanted to be friends with all the kingdoms around him. One night, God spoke to Solomon in a dream. He said, “Ask for anything you want. I will give it to you.”
- What would you ask for? New toys? A big pool? Solomon did not ask God for things. He thanked God for the many things he already had. Then he asked for a good, wise heart. He wanted to be a good king. God was very happy with Solomon. He gave
Solomon the gift of wisdom. He also made him very rich and powerful.
- While Solomon was king, God’s people had everything they needed. There was plenty of food to eat. They were safe from enemies. They knew that God was taking care of them.
THE STORY OF JESUS CALMING THE STORM
Have you ever been through a big storm? Maybe there was thunder and lightning. Maybe strong winds blew the branches off trees. You were probably glad to be safe inside your home during the storm. But what if you were outside? What if you
were on a boat in the middle of a lake? That’s just what happened to Jesus and his disciples one night.
- Jesus was tired from teaching all day. He fell asleep in the back of the boat. While the disciples rowed, the storm got stronger. The sky was dark. Waves crashed over the sides of the boat. The disciples couldn’t believe Jesus was asleep!
- They were afraid so they woke Jesus. “We are going to drown,” they cried. “Don’t you care about us?”
- Jesus stood up. He shouted to the storm, “Peace, be still!” Right away the storm stopped. The disciples saw that Jesus is the Prince of Peace. He can calm a storm and he can calm our worries and fears. God wants us to live in peace. We can always
have peace by trusting in Jesus and talking to him.
The short bible reading is:
Here is a link to a video showing you how to make a hanging dove with white paper or card:
Have a lovely week – can’t wait until we can meet again!
Ruth, Dale, Bryony and Rowan x